Here’s a look at a few of Margaret Lea Houston’s recipes for us all to enjoy as we celebrate General Sam Houston’s birthday on March 2nd and her birthday on April 18th. For more information on the celebrations visit the Sam Houston Memorial Museum Website.
- 3/4 cup butter softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbs baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 6 egg whites
- Cream butter and sugar, beating until smooth.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Combine milk and water.
- Add flour mixture to creamed mixture, alternately with milk mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Mix well after each addition.
- Stir in flavoring.
- Beat egg whites (at room temp) until soft peaks form and then fold into the batter.
- Pour into 3 greased and floured 9 inch round cake pans.
- Bake at 350 for 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing the layers to cool completely.
- Spread with lemon curd.