- 1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 (14 oz) can coconut milk
- 1 2/3 cups milk
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 Tbs cornstarch
- 2 1/2 cups shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup milk, or as needed
- 15 ladyfingers
- 1 1/4 cups shredded coconut
- 1 Tbs shaved dark chocolate
- Combine sweetened condensed milk, coconut milk, milk, egg yolks, and cornstarch in a saucepan over low heat; cook, stirring constantly until thickened into a custard, about 10 minutes.
- Divide custard between 2 bowls. Mix 2 1/2 cups shredded coconut into the first bowl of custard. Fold cocoa powder into the second bowl of custard. Let custard mixtures cool, about 10 minutes.
- Beat cream in a chilled glass or metal bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form.
- Pour 1/4 cup milk into a shallow bowl. Dip ladyfingers briefly in milk and arrange in the bottom of a glass trifle bowl. Spoon coconut custard on top. Layer remaining ladyfingers and chocolate custard on top. Smooth whipped cream over the top.
- Place 1 1/4 cup shredded coconut in a small skillet over low heat. Cook and stir until toasted and fragrant, 3 to 5 minutes. Let cool.
- Sprinkle toasted coconut and chocolate over whipped cream. Cover and refrigerate until flavors meld, about 4 hours.