The following recipe is adapted from “Miss Kay” Robertson’s (who stars on the A&E reality series Duck Dynasty) new cookbook, The Duck Commander Kitchen Presents Celebrating Family & Friends.
- 2 oz bacon, chopped
- ½ medium onion, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 ½ pounds fresh or frozen green beans (not haricots verts)
- 1 tsp salt, or to taste
- ½ tsp black pepper, plus more to taste
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 ½ cups chicken broth, plus more as needed
- 6 small red potatoes, scrubbed, halved (or quartered, if larger than golf balls)
- 1 Tbs butter
- Extra-virgin olive oil, as needed
- Cook bacon in large pot over medium-high heat until fat renders and bacon begins to brown, about 5 minutes. If bacon produces less than 2 tablespoons of fat, add some olive oil. Stir in onion; cook about 5 minutes.
- Trim ends of beans, remove strings, and cut into bite-size lengths. Add beans and seasonings to pan. Pour in broth to cover. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, simmer about 25 minutes.
- Stir in potatoes; add more broth if beans are almost dry. Partially cover. Simmer until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes. Add butter; serve warm.