Mom’s Easter Potato-Zucchini Casserole
- 2 Tbs butter
- 2 Tbs all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 (8 oz) pkg cream cheese, cubed
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 4 cups frozen country-style (cubed) hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 1 zucchini, shredded (or substitute broccoli)
- 1 Tbs butter, melted
- 1/4 cup dried bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease an 8×10-inch casserole dish.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large pot over medium heat; stir in flour until smooth and let the paste simmer for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Gradually whisk in milk, about 1/2 cup at a time, and bring to a simmer. Whisk constantly until sauce is smooth and thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Whisk in cream cheese and Swiss cheese until melted; stir in salt and nutmeg.
- Mix hash brown potatoes and zucchini into the cheese mixture until thoroughly combined.
- Transfer potato mixture to the prepared casserole dish.
- Bake in the preheated oven until bubbling, about 35 minutes.
You Might also Like