- 1 (16 oz) pkg penne pasta
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 1 (8 oz) pkg sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 small red onion, diced
- ½ med green bell pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning, or more to taste
- crushed red chili pepper to taste (optional)
- 3 cups fresh spinach, or to taste, stems removed
- 1 med Roma tomato, diced
- 1 (15 oz) carton ricotta cheese
- 1 pinch garlic powder, or to taste
- 1 pinch onion powder, or to taste
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 large lemon, zested and juiced
- ¼ cup cubed fresh mozzarella
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add penne and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender yet firm to the bite, about 11 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms, onion, bell pepper, and garlic; saute until softened, 5 to 10 minutes. Season with salt, pepper, 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning, and crushed red chili pepper. Add spinach and tomato towards the end of the saute process and cook until spinach has wilted.
- Season ricotta cheese with more Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and onion powder. Stir seasoned ricotta cheese into the vegetable mixture with Parmesan cheese, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Heat over medium-high heat until heated all the way through, 3 to 5 minutes.
Plate and top with mozzarella.