- 3 Tbs olive oil, divided
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed, cut into 2” pieces
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tbs unsalted butter
- 8 oz. shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, caps sliced
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- 1 tsp chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- 12 oz. dried or 1 lb. fresh fettuccine
- 3 oz. Parmesan, grated (about ¾ cup), plus more for serving
- 4 large egg yolks*
*Raw egg is not recommended for infants, the elderly, pregnant women, people with weakened immune systems…or people who don’t like raw eggs.
- Heat 2 Tbsp. oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add asparagus, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until just tender, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Heat butter and remaining 1 Tbsp. oil in same skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, season with salt and pepper, and cook, tossing often, until tender, about 5 minutes. Add shallot and cook, tossing occasionally, until softened, about 2 minutes. Toss in oregano, thyme, and asparagus.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water, stirring occasionally, until al dente. Drain, reserving 1 cup pasta cooking liquid.
- Add pasta, ½ cup pasta cooking liquid, and 3 oz. Parmesan to skillet. Cook, tossing and adding more pasta cooking liquid as needed, until sauce coats pasta, about 2 minutes; season with salt and pepper.
- Divide pasta among plates and top each with yolks and more Parmesan.