- 2 ½ cups water, divided
- ½ cup wild rice
- ¼ cup brown rice
- 1 cup pitted and sliced cherries
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
- ½ cup sliced celery
- ⅓ cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp grated orange zest
- Bring 2 cups water and wild rice to a boil in a saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until rice is tender, 30 to 45 minutes. Drain excess liquid, fluff rice with a fork, and cook uncovered, about 5 minutes more.
- Bring 1/2 water and brown rice to a boil in a saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until rice is tender and liquid has been absorbed, about 45 minutes.
- Combine cherries, brown sugar, and almonds in a large nonstick skillet; cook and stir over medium heat until brown sugar melts and coats cherries and almonds, about 6 minutes. Stir in brown rice, wild rice, celery, orange juice, red wine vinegar, and orange zest. Cook, stirring frequently, until heated through, about 5 minutes.
Cook’s Note: Substitute frozen cherries for the fresh cherries if desired.