Cast-Iron Skillet Meatloaf
Ingredients for Meatloaf:
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 3 slices cubed bread (2 cups)
- 1/2 tsp ground savory leaves
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp dry mustard
- 1/4 tsp celery salt
- 1 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbs veggie oil or olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion (frozen is fine)
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
Ingredients for Glaze:
- 2 bottles chili sauce
- 4 Tbs packed brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- Preheat Oven to 350*
- In a large bowl, add egg and beat slightly with a fork.
- Stir in milk, bread, savory leaves, salt, pepper, 1/4 tsp dry mustard, celery salt & Worcester sauce.
- Mix well. Set aside.
- In a small skillet, heat oil over high heat and sauté onions till soft and tender, not brown (about 5 minutes).
- In a large bowl, add ground meat and sautéed onion to the seasoned bread mixture; mix well by hand.
- Turn meat mixture into a 8 1/2 inch well seasoned cast-iron skillet, Pat meat to fit, mounding in the center…
- Place skillet in center rack in oven and bake 60 minutes.
- While meat is cooking, prepare glaze.
- Glaze: In a small bowl, add chili sauce to dry mustard and brown sugar; mix well and set aside.
- Remove meatloaf and drain off fat.
- Brush top with chili sauce glaze, using it all and return to oven and bake 15 minutes longer.
- Cut meatloaf into wedges and serve.
You Might also Like