- 1 lb fresh tomatillos, peeled and washed, or 1 large can pre-cooked tomatillos
- 1 lb lean ground beef, pork, or chicken
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp oregano, crushed
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- olive oil
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 10 oz can whole Anaheim peppers or 2 – 7oz cans diced green chiles
- 8 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups green cabbage, diced
- 1 med zucchini, diced (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 cup long-grain rice
For the Garnish
- chopped cilantro
- lemon or lime wedges
- crushed red pepper flakes
- For canned tomatillos, drain and transfer to blender. Blend on high until smooth, set aside. If using fresh tomatillos, peel and rinse tomatillos. Add to a saucepan of boiling water, reduce heat, cook for 10 minutes. Drain and transfer to blender. Blend until smooth, set aside.
- Preheat large dutch oven to medium/high. Add meat and season with salt, pepper, cumin, garlic powder, oregano, and smoked paprika. Cook, stirring often until meat is seared and browned. Reduce heat to medium.
- Add the onion, garlic, jalapeño, and bell pepper Cook for a few minutes. Add the tomatillos from blender and all remaining ingredients, minus the zucchini and rice. Bring to a boil, and reseason with the dry spices used to season meat. Season to taste.
- After about 20 minutes, add in zucchini and rice. Continue cooking until rice has cooked, about 15 minutes. Stir occasionally. Garnish soup with cilantro and lemon wedges.