1 (14.1 oz) pkg refrigerated pie crusts, at room temperature
1 (8 oz) pkg cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup white sugar
1 large egg
1/2 tsp grated lemon zest
1/8 tsp salt
4 lrg Granny Smith apples – peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 (7 oz) pkg almond paste
3 Tbs apricot jam
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Unroll 1 pie crust on a work surface. Cut out 2- to 3-inch hearts (or desired shape) with a cookie cutter. Transfer to an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven until light golden brown, about 8 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Mix cream cheese, white sugar, egg, lemon zest, and salt in a medium bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth.
- Mix sliced apples, brown sugar, and cinnamon together in a large bowl.
- Unroll the second pie crust in an ungreased, 9-inch glass pie plate.
- Roll almond paste into a thin, 7-inch circle between 2 sheets of waxed paper. Remove the top sheet of waxed paper and turn the almond paste circle into the crust-lined pie plate; gently press into the pie crust and remove the waxed paper. Spread cream cheese mixture over almond paste and arrange apples in a circular pattern over top.
- Bake in the preheated oven until filling is set and slightly puffed, 40 to 45 minutes.
- Microwave apricot jam in a small, microwave-safe bowl, uncovered, at medium power (50%) for 1 minute. Brush over apples. Top with heart cutouts. Cool until filling sets, about 1 hour.