- 6 oranges
- 3 cups cooked, mashed sweet potatoes
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup butter, softened, divided
- 1 Tbs grated orange peel
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare oranges by cutting tops off, 1/4 to 1/2 inch down. Spoon out the flesh, leaving a shell.
- In a large bowl combine sweet potatoes, sugar, orange juice, eggs, vanilla extract, 1/2 cup butter and grated orange peel. Spoon mixture into orange shells. Place in a deep casserole dish.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine remaining 1/2 cup butter, brown sugar, flour and pecans. Cook until sugar dissolves in melted butter. Spoon over oranges. Fill casserole dish with water to reach 1/2 inch in depth.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes.