Ingredients for the chicken:
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts (2-3 breasts)
- zest and juice of 1 cara cara orange (can use navel orange, too)
- juice of ½ tangelo (also labeled as minneolas)
- 1 Tbs honey
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
Ingredients for the dressing:
- juice of ½ tangelo
- juice of 2 blood oranges
- 1 Tbs apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ cup olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
Ingredients for the salad:
- 3 cups shredded brussels sprouts
- 4-5 cups chopped butter lettuce
- 2 blood oranges, diced
- 2 avocados, diced
- 1/3 cup chopped pistachios (optional)
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta (optional)
- Begin by marinating the chicken. Combine cara cara orange juice and zest, tangelo juice, honey, olive oil, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl and add chicken. Toss to coat and set aside while you prepare the rest of the salad.
- Preheat the oven to 375º.
- Make the dressing. In a medium bowl, whisk together the tangelo juice, blood orange juice, apple cider vinegar, honey, garlic, and olive oil until combined. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Add the shredded brussels and butter lettuce to a large bowl and toss. Set aside.
- Heat an oven safe medium skillet to medium/high and add a drizzle of olive oil. Add the chicken and cook for 3-4 minutes per side. Pour the marinade over the chicken and bake for about 15 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. This will vary depending on their thickness.
- Once chicken is finished, let rest for a few minutes and then cut into bite sized pieces.
- Add the chicken, blood oranges, avocado, pistachios, and feta to the brussels and lettuce mixture and toss. Drizzle over desired amount of dressing and toss again.