- 1½ cups chopped fresh strawberries
- ½ cup white sugar
- ¼ cup white sugar
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- In a small bowl, combine the strawberries and ½ cup sugar. Set aside for 1 hour. Drain, reserving liquid and berries separately.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Grease a 12 cup muffin tin, or line with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, cream together the butter and ¼ cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda, salt and nutmeg; stir into the creamed mixture alternately with the juice from the berries. Gently stir in the berries. Spoon batter into the prepared muffin cups.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the tops spring back when lightly touched. Cool in the pan on a wire rack.